Our Mission Statement
Mobile Meals glorifies God by providing nutritious meals, services and fellowship to the frail and homebound of Spartanburg County.
Established in 1977, Mobile Meals of Spartanburg is a 501c3 non-profit organization serving individuals throughout SpartanburgCounty. The organization is governed by a volunteer board of directors who are local community leaders and passionate about the Mobile Meals ministry.
Currently, 1300 volunteer drivers are committed to caring for 130 routes that represent approximately 1500 individuals throughout Spartanburg County. The need for meals and fellowship continue to grow as life expectancy increases, hospitals discharge patients earlier with an emphasis on in-home care, and the family unit as a primary caretaker is fragmented.
Volunteers provide the human touch that is invaluable to the homebound and a hot meal is important for their physical needs.
* Meal recipients are referred by family, neighbors, hospital and nursing home discharge planners, and social service agencies for example Adult Protective Services, Department of Health and Environmental Control.
* We do not put our referrals on a waiting list for our services. We serve those who meet our eligibility requirements.
* Meals are provided free of charge. Recipients’ needs are not based on financial qualifications. We accept donations from recipients who chose to contribute to Mobile Meals.
* Our recipients are homebound and physically or mentally challenged to the extent that meal preparation is nearly impossible. Most recipients live alone, may be alone during the day or live with another incapacitated person.
* Volunteers monitor the welfare of the recipients on their assigned route. Mobile Meals case managers serve as a link to other community-based services such as transportation, home health services, financial services and even home repair.
* A hot, nutritious meal delivered by a loving and caring volunteer fights malnutrition, depression and a sense of isolation.
* We are not a government funded agency but depend on individuals, business, churches, schools and grants to meet our annual budget.