Beliefs are difficult to express because they are seemingly so simple yet so hard to narrow. I have attempted to express my beliefs and appreciate the opportunity to share them with the readers of these words.
- Sacraments - Making good on my promises to our children in their baptismal service is a driving force that compels me to go on Youth mission trips, serve on the Youth committee and be a Covenant Family Leader. Holy Communion is a community-of-faith event that gives visibility to an invisible grace. Obedience to Jesus' direction long ago connects me to my brothers and sisters in Christ in this simple, yet, holy sharing of common elements.
- The Bible - As mysterious and confusing as some parts of the Bible can be, it reveals God's plan of salvation for a fallen people, which I am one. I continually try to understand all of its message and not just the easy parts.
- The Church - The Church remains because it is a living picture of God's love for His people, which I am a part. It is my role in the call to be a leader, to work to unify the church. The Church will not always agree but I will be committed to the will of our Savior as it is revealed to me. Together, we the Church, will be able do this through faithful seeking and knocking as scripture instructs.
- The Holy Spirit - The Holy Spirit is God ignited and alive within me. Ignition of this gift in others is a beautiful sight and I see it in those who make-up my community of faith. Encouraging this ignition in others so they can enjoy an abundant life is what I am to be about.
- Sin and Evil - Newscasts tell me that sin and evil are in control and I must live in fear. The Bible, on the other hand, tells me a different story. Sin and evil were conquered on the cross uniting God's creation with Him, again, as was always the plan. I pray that I live worthy of that sacrifice and reflect hope in my every word and deed.
- Jesus - Jesus revealed the vast nature of God. Through His miracles, His leadership style, His parables, the 'I Am' statements and His sacrifice, Jesus gave me much to take-in. Sometimes in my journey, especially when sinful thoughts and acts take hold, I feel I am only scratching the surface of understanding His mission. Just then, grace comes to the rescue. Forgiveness is offered and again, my faith grows deeper and my understanding widens.
I am honored to be a child of the most High and Holy One. I am honored to be a part of today in this place and time. In my limited understanding of the matters of belief and to God's goodness, I claim the Apostle Paul's assurance in Romans 8:38-39 as my own:
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."