In him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord. Ephesians 2.21
Almost 175 years ago, on April 30, 1843, eight men and women met in a local home to begin a new Presbyterian church in the village of Spartanburg. It took great faith in God, a strong commitment to the work, and the joining together of many efforts by everyday saints to bring about the congregation we know today as First Presbyterian Church.
Declining the first call made by this church, a pastor called the field “very unpromising” and expressed “doubt if it is well to have a Presbyterian Church in that locality.”
First Pres has proved the early doubters wrong. The current structure at 393 East Main Street in downtown Spartanburg is the fourth building for this congregation. Dedicated in 1926, this church and its campus have been enlarged over the years to its current 10 acres.
But First Presbyterian is so much more than its buildings. The congregation has always looked beyond its walls to share and spread the word of God. Church missions address hunger, housing, medical needs, church enhancement, and child enrichment right here in our community. Within this year FPC mission teams have gone to Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Cuba to build upon the word of God and demonstrate love in action.
It is the work of saints that has produced and continues to enhance the strength and vitality of this 2,400-member church, now under the direction of its 15th Senior Pastor, Dr. Thomas E. Evans.