Landrum Presbyterian Church shares many characteristics with the city of Landrum in the beautiful foothills of northern Spartanburg County. Both are relatively small, have a proud history and are known for generous hospitality.
In 1916, a group of Landrum residents petitioned Enoree Presbytery for a church in their community. Their request was answered with organization of the church in April, 1917. After meeting in the Landrum Methodist Church for a number of years, in 1924 the “brown” church was built on land adjacent to Depot Park. After World War II, Sunday School rooms were added to this building which was later sold.
The congregation then moved to land purchased on Rutherford Street and opened its education building there in 1961. In 1971 the new brick sanctuary at the corner of Rutherford Street and Lee Avenue was dedicated. The first service there was the community Easter service.
The Spirit is moving at Landrum Presbyterian today. In the last year, the church has grown by more than 20%. New studies and outreach characterize the expansion of the church’s mission as a congregation of teaching and service. Building from exceptional acoustics in the sanctuary, the church has developed a vital ministry of music in the Landrum-Tryon area, from superb offerings by vocalists and organists in worship each Sunday to celebrated community concerts hosted by the congregation.