Nazareth Presbyterian Church is one of the most historic churches in upper South Carolina. Before this area was even the United States of America, a group of Scots-Irish Presbyterian families from Pennsylvania began to worship in what is now Spartanburg County. Soon they were joined by some other Scots-Irish families who had come by way of Charles Towne. When they decided to worship together, a man from the upper settlement and a man from the lower settlement began walking towards each other and where they met, they chose a place to worship.
Originally called “The Tyger River Congregation,” the church met for worship in homes until the first log cabin was built in 1765. The current sanctuary was built in 1832, using bricks made near Middle Tyger River.
The Rev. Joseph Alexander was founding pastor. Nazareth is called “the mother of churches” and its members helped found North Pacolet, Fairview, Mount Tabor (now First Presbyterian, Greer), First Presbyterian Spartanburg, Antioch, Mount Calvary, Wellford, Center Point, and two African-American churches, one at Wellford and one at Reidville.
Today, the church has about 250 members of all ages and is involved in a wide variety of missions within the church, the community and the world. Our Mission Statement: To worship and glorify God and to make disciples for Christ.